Monday, September 29, 2014

It's Common Cents




Typeface creation made of the most Common Cents around...

The penny is the most common cent tossed into a tip jar, a street-musician's instrument case, and your local restaurant's fountain. Despite having monetary value, this typeface is made up of the underdog of cents, the most left-behind and forgotten-of-all cents, but nonetheless a piece to all of our bus-stop remains and couch-cushion leftovers.

I liked the idea of creating a new value for my -- mostly -- disregarded pennies which, consequently, I had no guilt cutting up. But once I did, I found myself coveting them during the process and referring to them as 'trinkets,' which I would never have done prior to cutting them up and changing their purpose.

You can tell how much a coin has been handled through their polish and their age, and many of the pennies that I spend have outlived me. This makes them interesting pieces of our system even though they are nearly disregarded as valuable outside of piggy-banks. But now these 29 cents can have a more exciting purpose than the other pennies today.





No comments:

Post a Comment